Nearly a third of managers and executives are regarded as severely lacking in their abilities to manage other people. That's according to a Business Wire report on a survey of human resource managers from 133 organizations. The survey also reports that about 40% are considered excellent leaders, indicating that the other 60% could use some improvement. Chris Gay of Right Management Consultants notes that communication skills are both the most-desired management trait and one of the top three areas that need to be improved.
Knowing how to communicate in a way that encourages commitment and an understanding of how to be successful is vital to being a good manager ... This involves understanding how to personally model the business strategy and culture, and tell powerful stories that help translate that strategy into action for each person.
This calls to mind a powerful line in The Leader's Voice: "The biggest problem with leadership communication is the illusion that it has occurred."
Before blogging became all the rage, Tom was posting book reviews and Observations (essentially early blog posts) to this site. You can find the archives below.
What we're talking about
on the front page.