I'm a Robert Louis Stevenson kinda guy: "Everyone lives by selling something." I've been a traveling idea salesman for 30 years, since the foreshadowing of the Peters-Waterman "excellence thing" at McKinsey/San Francisco in 1976. That's a lot of miles. But Zig Ziglar would approve: I love the "product." I am compelled to sell. (I'm in Milano on a sales call as I write—at 4 a.m.) A lot of miles ... because I think these ideas matter. They represent a more liberating way to work-live than is the norm. And they are the most likely path-to-profit. To figure out why I'm still on the road, 10 days before my 64th birthday, I made a list, in no particular order, of the "products" in my salesman's bag:
* "Hard is soft. Soft is hard." Social stuff, Emotional stuff = Good stuff.
* Mess = Normal = Reality. Rationality = Delusional. Non-linearity = Life 101. (Design accordingly!)
* Failure = Normal = Good. ("Reward excellent failure. Punish mediocre success." "Fail faster. Succeed sooner." "Fail. Forward. Fast.")
* If "they" agree with you—then you're on the wrong path.
* Do > Think. Act > Talk. Action bias!! EXPERIMENT!! R.F.A./Ready. Fire. Aim.
* Decentralization = Holy writ = More independent tries.
* Implementation-Execution-the "Missing 98%."
* Strategic planning, limits thereto. Severe.
* Pitiful performance of Huge Companies. Need C.D.O./Chief Destruction Officer.
* Severe limits to scale advantage. Mega-mergers = Bad = Stupid.
* "Built to last." Why??? Instead: Built to change the world.
* People first! People Power!
* Best "roster" wins! HR (should) rule!
* WOMEN'S WORLD!!!!!!! (MARKET. WEALTH. LEADERSHIP.)
* Aesthetics! Beauty! Grace! (Design primacy.)
* EXCELLENCE. ALWAYS.
* MBWA!!!!!!! (Managing By Wandering Around.)
* Don't over-complicate. (MBWA, Product, People, Action ...)
* Educate for Risk-taking, Creativity, Independence.
* B.Schools suck. Teach all ... except what's important. D.School = Cool.
* Healthcare's Big Three: Quality. Prevention. Wellness.
* R > C. (Adding Revenue > Cutting cost.) C.R.O./Chief Revenue Officer. Sell! Sell! Sell!
* Free markets work! Free trade works! Rise of India-China = Good thing. Fight back with Excellent Performance: Add "insane" amounts of value! Become a "Lovemark"!!
* Brand You. Self-reliance!! Mastery!! Liberation!!
* Survival = PSF/Professional Service Firm "mindset." Goal #1: Enable clients to become successful beyond their dreams!
* Fun! ("Cool" is Cool.)
* Service-obsessed!/Experience-obsessed! (Object: "Raving fans.")
* Passion-Exuberance-Enthusiasm. "Hot" Language! WOW! Insanely great!
* The "right thing" is the profitable thing.
(La Scala above: What else?!)
Before blogging became all the rage, Tom was posting book reviews and Observations (essentially early blog posts) to this site. You can find the archives below.
What we're talking about
on the front page.